This South Pole flight is the only commercial scenic flight to the South Pole directly from Australia, making it a unique opportunity for Antarctica enthusiasts and bucket-listers alike. This awe-inspiring roundtrip (running for approximately 16 hours) aims to retrace the paths of iconic explorers wherever possible - all in the warmth and comfort of a chartered Qantas Dreamliner.
This is the ultimate 'bucket-lister's' journey! Not possible from anywhere else in the world.
Celebrating some of Antarctica’s most illustrious history, this scenic flight plans to take travellers across the largest body of floating ice on the planet; the Ross Ice Shelf, then over the Beardmore Glacier and the Transantarctic Mountains, all the way to the South Pole, as it retraces the out-route of Robert Falcon Scott during his race to the South Pole.
The international research station, manned year-round at the South Pole, will be witnessed from the air before the flight makes its way back across the vast Polar Plateau, to the Axel Heiburg Glacier and, again, across the Ross Ice Shelf to the Bay of Whales, all along Amundsen’s successful route home, where he was crowned the victor in the race to the South Pole.
On board will be modern day explorers Geoff Wilson and Daniel Bull who will share their personal stories of exploration and describe the intricacies and natural hostilities of the incredible terrain you will see below you. Alongside these world record holders, will be a team of Antarctica and history experts to share with you the details of the history of the Heroic Age of Exploration as well as the geographic wonders of Antarctica.
Whilst exact views will be determined by conditions on the day, the prospect of many incredible highlights are bountiful. Every traveller will have the privilege of a magical trip that few can claim to have done; to say that you are one of the few individuals in human history to have visited the South Pole, had the chance to appreciate the enormity of Antarctica and to truly appreciate heroic feats of Scott and Amundsen’s journeys, is something incredibly unique.
For those lucky enough to secure a place on this historic flight, you will return with a head full of incredible stories and memories of unbelievable vistas, all from the comfort of a Qantas Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.
*Save 10% off SELECT SEATS - offer ends 28 Feb 2023
Call our Brisbane based travel team on 1300 414 198 to secure your place on this popular tour!
Please note that prices are subject to availability at time of booking and may change without notice.
One date only - 03 December 2023
Whilst the route of this flight is a bucket-lister and Antarctica buff's dream-come-true, the excitement and entertainment inside the cabin, as we trace the routes of formidable explorers will be palpable. Never has anyone covered this route in a day, nor has it been done with modern day explorers, who have their very own tales of hardship upon the great white continent to share.
Flight is subject to CASA and other regulatory approvals.
Seat swap process:
Cabin Crew will advise you when the seat swap process will commence. Seat swap process will occur by cabin and by row number. Our team on board will assist in the seat swapping process. You will be required to tidy your own seat area prior to vacating as follows:• Collect all rubbish from the seat back pocket and within the seat area, placing in the white bag provided• Wipe down tray table• Wipe down seatbelt and buckle• Wipe down IFE screen and control• If in window seat, wipe down window and shade
The Qantas Dreamliner features 236 seats - less than most other aircraft of its type. The aircraft is fitted with state-of-the-art technology to reduce turbulence, improve noise quality and reduced aircraft vibrations for a smoother flight. Every seat has been designed to offer the ultimate comfort for long-haul flyers. The windows on the Dreamliner are 65% larger than comparable aircraft windows, providing an increased sense of space and the opportunity for passengers to see more of the world.
Where will we fly & what if it is bad weather?
Weather is not generally the issue, cloud cover is our biggest challenge. We have 20 different routes we can follow and the Captain will choose the route with they anticipate will provide the best viewing on the day. It is noted that weather conditions can change quickly in Antarctica, even mid-flight. For our South Pole flight, we will be at the mercy of the conditions on the day. This route is focused on the history and scale of the epic journeys of Amundsen and Scott.
What time will we fly? Most Antarctica flights will depart early morning with the exception of the New Years flight which will depart in the evening and enjoy the midnight sun.
Are there any age Restrictions for the Flight? There are no age restriction on the flights, although please be aware that there is no discounted pricing for children. Please Note: this is a long flight for young children and we do not recommend the trip for children aged 8 years and younger. Children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
Can I use or redeem Qantas Frequent Flyer points or credits for my flight? As this is a chartered flight, the flight does not accumulate or accept frequent flyer points. Any credits held with Qantas can also not be used to purchase these flights.
Can I access the Qantas Airport Lounge? Yes, the Qantas Airport Lounges can be accessed for passengers who hold the required loyalty status.
Can I reserve a particular seat? You can select a seating class but not a particular seat. The Seating allocation will be finalised close to travel date.
The health and safety of passengers and crew will be taken seriously during COVID 19. As suchthese additional COVID safety measures are in play, in partnership with Qantas and airport authorities:
• In the days prior to departure and for the peace of mind of all passengers, everyone boarding the flight will be required to complete a Health and Safety declaration form.
• A contactless temperature test will be conducted on all passengers prior to embarkation (depending on transmission rates in the state of departure at the time). Those people with a fever (38°C or higher) will be denied boarding, but, will receive a credit for a future Antarctica Flight.
• To reduce congestion on board, not all seats in Economy Class will be utilised. This will allow more space for passengers.
• Each passenger will receive a personal Qantas pack for the flight including disposable mask, sanitiser and disinfectant wipes.
• There is enhanced cleaning of the aircraft with a disinfectant effective against coronaviruses including during the seat swap process. The aircraft’s air conditioning system is fitted with hospital-grade HEPA filters, which remove 99.9% of all particles, including viruses. Air inside the cabin is refreshed every few minutes, ensuring high air quality.
• Additional sanitisers will be available on board throughout the duration of the flight.
• Depending on transition rates in your state at the date of departure and the latest medical advice at the time, there may be additional measures implemented closer to departure.
Travel at 60 and supplier booking conditions apply. Prices are correct as at 12 October 2022 & are subject to change at any time without notice. Prices are per person. Valid for new bookings only. All product is subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice.
Deposit and final payments A non-refundable deposit per passenger is due at the time of booking equivalent to:
1. Economy class seats AUD$500.00 per person
2. Premium Economy AUD$750.00 per person
3. Business class seats AUD$1000.00 per person
Final payment of your booking balance is required eight weeks prior to your departure date.
Book with Confidence. Should your flight not be able to depart due to government restrictions with coronavirus, you can choose from either of the following:
1. Transfer to an alternative departure date at no extra cost. Subject to availability.
2. Receive a full refund, excluding a $75 per person administration fee.
3. A 100% travel credit to use when booking another Chimu Adventures product.